Jay and Stacey

Jay and Stacey

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Wordy Wednesday for 8/3 (a bit late)

SO.......Still trying to read Ethan Frome.

Think I might put him away for a bit and read some of the short stories that I will need to use in September for AP Literature. I love short stories because they can be incredibly complex even though they are often as short as only 2 pages. The writng of a good short story is masterful - and in my opinion - often more difficult than constructing a novel.

Here is a list of the things I need to read/re-read:

1) "The Yellow Wallpaper" by Charlott Perkins Gilman. AMAZING! Love this story and cant wait to teach it.

2)Artist of the Beautiful by Nathaniel Hawthorne - a favorite of the other AP Lit teacher I will be working with. I have never read it but look forward to it.

3)Little Things by ...can't remember who wrote it. I hate when that happens. EXCELLENT. Very Short and Very disturbing. Ohhhh, Raymond Carver is the author. WooHoo! I look forward to student reactions to this one!

4)The Trout by Sean O'Faolain. A good Irish author. I'm bound to love this.

5)I Stand Here Ironing by Tillie Olsen. Early feminisim. I will probably love this one too.

6)The Necklace by Guy de Maupassant. Heartbreaker, but I love it. Hope the kids get it.

Busy, busy, busy. I will review the new stories for you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment