Jay and Stacey

Jay and Stacey

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

All About Books - AKA Wordy Wednesday

I decided that Witty Wednesday should be about cool things I read or learned this week. I could call it Book Club Wednesday, but it lacks alliteration. So, Wordy Wednesday it is.

I am in two book clubs - a regular club and a history club - so I am constantly reading new things and learning things I never knew. This summer I will be doing lots of reading for work and for pleasure so this is where I will compliment or complain about what I am reading.

For example, two months ago our book was "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand (the lady that wrote "Seabiscuit") and I learned about Japanese POW camps during WWII and how badly they treated American soldiers. Wow, that was tough stuff to read but fascinating. If you haven't read it, give it a try. It is a fast and interesting read. Very moving and motivational too.



This week, for history book club, I am reading "Founding Brothers" by Joseph Ellis, which is about the founding fathers in the years after the Revolutionary War. I just finished the chapter on the Aaron Burr vs. Alexander Hamilton duel. Burr won, but he was a real schmuck, too bad the ending didn't go the other way. Hamilton was a real patriot and upstanding guy; Aaron Burr, not so much....



For AP Lit in the fall, I am STILL working my way through "Grendel" by John Gardner. This is a retelling of the story of "Beowulf" but told from the monster's point of view. Very interesting but also kind of daunting as there is a ton of stuff about philosophy in it. Arrgghh. It is also pretty funny in places so that makes it easier. I am just bogged down with work at school so it is taking longer. Alas.



More books next Wordy Wednesday! See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment